Exchange up to 10,000 hryvnia into euros

As of 15 June 2022, refugees with Ukrainian nationality can exchange up to 10,000 hryvnia in banknotes into euros (roughly EUR 310) free of charge. This can only be done once. They can do this at any GWK Travelex branch. Initially, this scheme will be in place for 3 months, expiring on 15 September 2022.

Please check for more information. 

How to join a sport or culture club

Do you want to do a sport activity or join a culture club? Go to the website connectukraine and find all activities in our municipality. Most activities are even free of charge. 

The website is available in different languages, such as English and Ukranian. Select your language in the top menu. 

Registration in the Netherlands

Please make sure to register yourself and your family in our municipality. This allows you to receive a living allowance or medical support.

Do you stay at the municipal accommodation in Rijsbergen? Then you don’t have to do anything. The municipality will arrange your registration.

Have you arranged your own accommodation, for example with a host family? U can arrange your registration at our municipal service desk. Please make an appointment via tel. no. +3176 599 56 00.

How to reach the town hall?

You can use public transport (please make sure to buy a ticket). Take bus 115 to Zundert. Get off at bus stop ‘Willem Passtoorsstraat in Zundert’. The town hall is a 5 minutes’ walk from there.

Address town hall: Markt 1, Zundert.

website for public transportation:

Income & work

Work in the Netherlands

Refugees from Ukraine are allowed to work as employees, because they are exempt from a work permit. An employer who has hired a refugee must report this to the UWV as soon as possible. In addition, you are obliged to take out health insurance when you start working in the Netherlands, also as a refugee. The Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment has announced that refugees from Ukraine, who fall under the Temporary Protection Directive, can work in the Netherlands without proof of residence and without a work permit until 31 October 2022. Previously, the deadline was 1 September 2022. For more information: check

Living allowance

If you have a place to stay, but you don’t have enough or no money to live on, we will pay you an amount of money. This is called a living allowance (leefgeld).

After your registration, the first time you will receive the money in cash from the employee of the municipality. The living allowance will be paid per week.

You can pick up the cash money every Tuesday morning from 9.00 to 12.30 at the townhall in Zundert. The amount is made up of budgets for food and personal expenses. Please bring your passport.


Amount of living allowance

When you stay at the municipal accommodation in Rijsbergen, you will receive the following amount of money: 60 euro per week per person (adult or child).

When you stay at a host family, you will receive 60 euro for the first adult and an allowance per address:

  • 50 euro per week for an adult.
  • 13 euro per week for a child.

It is possible to pick up the money for your family members or children. Make sure you also bring along the letters with the citizen service numbers and passports if you want to apply for their money. Living allowances for minor children are always paid to a parent.

When will it stop?

The money for living will stop when you get a job. We ask you to report it to the municipality when you have found a job. Family members and children will keep the right on money for living.

We will transfer the living allowance to your Dutch bank account as soon as this is activated. Please make sure to open a bank account.

How to open a bank account

We will transfer the living allowance to your Dutch bank account as soon as this is activated. Please make sure to open a bank account.

You can open a bank account via one of the following links:


When you have a bank account number, we ask you to report this to the municipality.

Education and day care

Children of refugees may go to school in the Netherlands. The following rules apply:

  • Children 0 – 4 years old: they may go to day care in the neighbourhood, but this isn’t obligatory.
  • Children 4 – 6 years old: they may go to primary school in the neighbourhood.
  • Children 6 – 12 years old: they may go to primary school in the city of Breda.
  • Children 12 – 18 years old: they may go to secondary school in the city of Breda.  

Do you want to apply for school or day care? Please contact the location manager (when you stay at the municipal shelter accommodation in Rijsbergen) or contact the Vraagwijzer Zundert ( or call +3176 – 599 56 00) .

People older than 18 years old may also apply for education if they wish to do so. Please contact the higher education institutions or universities of your interest for more information. Such as Breda University of Applied Sciences:

Medical Care

Do you stay at the municipal accommodation? Please contact the location manager/ reception for assistance.

For emergency care (at evenings – nights and weekends): please call the After Hours Clinic:

  • tel: +31 76 52 58 500 
  • address: Molengracht 21, 4818 CK Breda

About health care costs

Your medical care will be reimbursed through a subsidy scheme. The healthcare provider can declare the medical costs. For more information about healthcare and healthcare costs, please visit:

Information about pets/animals

I brought an animal from Ukraine, what should I do now?

After having arrived at your (temporary) accommodation, it is of the foremost importance for your pet or pets to receive medical care as soon as possible. The vet will check your animal and administer the mandatory vaccinations. If needed, the vet will give you a pet passport and will chip the animal. In case your pets is ill or has received injuries on the way, the vet will give your animal the required treatment and medication. Your appointment with the vet and the medication is free of charge.

Take all papers you have from your animal to the vet and the form (click on this link) you have completed here. It is important to take the animal to this appointment, irrespective of the pet having been vaccinated on the way, for instance at the border. The vet needs to include all the information into the passport. Here (click on this link) you will find a Q&A for your questions. To make an appointment for medical care, please fill in the form on this page and we will contact you as soon as possible, to inform you about an available vet.

Useful links

  • RefugeeHelp is the online starting point for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands and everyone who wants to help. .
  • Red Cross WhatsApp number for any questions (in Ukrainian, English and Dutch): +316 -  48 15 80 53.
  • Be safe on the run: People on the run may be vulnerable to becoming victims of human trafficking and exploitation. Many people offer help, but unfortunately not everyone can be trusted. Are you on the run? Please find more information here (pdf, 4.552 kb) .

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to get a COVID vaccination/booster shot. Where can I get that?

You can get your first, second or booster shot for free at every GGD-vaccination location. Please make an appointment via tel: 0800 – 7070. Make sure you bring a valid ID with you.

I have been officially registered by the municipality of Zundert. What do I need to do if I want to move to another municipality or another country?

When you move/relocate from Zundert to another municipality, you need to notify the new municipality of your move/relocation. This will not change your official registration (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP).

When you move/relocate to another country you need to cancel your official registration at the municipality of Zundert. You will no longer be registered in the BRP (Basisregistratie Personen).

Can I use public transport free of charge?

As of 1 June, Ukrainian refugees may no longer use public transport free of charge. 

There is one exception: Free travel is allowed in trains of the NS company when entering the Netherlands. Please go to a NS ticket desk and show your Ukrainian ID card/passsport ánd a German, French or Austrian travel form, which is less than 24 hours old.